THIS IS A POPULAR RECIPE FROM THE BOOK: AMERICA GOES VEGAN! BY GLEN MERZER AND TRACY CHILDS
Anti-inflammatory Quinoa (Serves 4)
Soaking quinoa for an hour or so and draining before cooking increases the amount of servings to 5 1 cup servings and creates a fluffier quinoa. Adding turmeric and black pepper increases the anti-inflammatory properties of any foods. Adding them to the cooking water in this recipe creates a pleasing yellow color adding savory flavor and nutriition to the quinoa.
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, or water or a mix of both
¼ teaspoon salt optional
½ teaspoon turmeric
black pepper to taste
- If you have time, soak the quinoa, covered by about 1 inch of water, for an hour or more.
- Drain and rinse the quinoa.
- Bring all ingredients to boil in a medium saucepan. Stir well. Reduce the heat to a low-simmer.
- Cover and continue to cook for 15 minutes. Fluff the quinoa with a fork, replace the cover and let it rest for a few minutes.
- Serve and enjoy or chill for salads and including in other meals.