So excited this year about our BLACKBERRY BUSH! It is going OFF right now! I made this the other day and we are enjoying it topped with Tofu-Cashew Whipped Cream! So delicious!
Berry Oat Bars makes 9 large or 12 small bars
These berry-filled squares are super easy to make, oil-free, low in sugar and filled and anti-oxidant rich berries! Tastes like summer in a healthier berry pie!
1 cup date or fig paste OR all-fruit berry jam
4 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) any type of berries – or a mix (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries for example)
¾ cup flour of your choice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats (rolled oats can be partially processed in a blender to create these)
1/3 cup chopped pecans or other nuts (optional)
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup non-dairy milk or fruit juice (apple or orange or pineapple work well)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon powdered date sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a small bowl, mix together the date/fig paste or all-fruit berry jam with the fresh or thawed berries.
- Preheat the oven to 350 and lightly oil an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, flax and oats.
- Make a well in the bottom of the oat mixture and add the non-dairy milk, the applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla. Mix well and add the nuts if using.
- Cover the bottom of the prepared baking dish with half of the dough and press it until smooth with wet hands.
- Spread the jam mixture on top and crumble the remaining dough over the top.
- Mix together the cinnamon topping and sprinkle generously on the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until lightly golden on top.
- Cool in the pan completely and cut into bars.
WE HAVE ONE CRAZY BLACKBERRY BUSH!
It's a bit surprising to have this sort of plant in coastal Southern California!