I recently appeared on News 8 Morning Extra with our favorite anchor Neda Iranpour to discuss tips for a successful Veganuary! I shared one of my favorite recipes!
Colorful Asian Bean Salad
Makes 5 cups
one 12-ounce package frozen shelled edamame
1 can cannellini beans or great northern, drained and rinsed
1 cup shredded carrot or red bell pepper (cut into thin slices)
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 teaspoons coconut sugar
2 teaspoons Bragg’s Aminos or Soy Sauce
1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil - see note below
2 teaspoons sesame seeds (unhulled or black)
1/4 cup sliced green onions or chopped red onions
salt and black pepper to taste
- Bring about 5 cups water to boil. Add the edamame, and a dash of salt. Set the timer for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, add the shredded carrots and cook them with the edamame for 2 minutes more, then add the corn, just to thaw and freshen. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a serving bowl, stir the remain ingredients (dressing, cannellini bean, herbs). Allow this to marinate together for a few minutes.
- Allow the edamame and carrots to cool in the colander for about 5 minutes and then add them to the dressing and chopped herbs.
- Stir well, taste and adjust seasonings and chill for an hour before serving.
NOTE: I usually don't use any oil in my cooking, unless it really "makes" the recipe. In my opinion, this very small amount of toasted sesame oil adds a yummy authentic flavor and just adds a minute amount of fat to each serving.