CREEPY CRAWLY QUESADILLAS
CREEPY CRAWLY QUESADILLAS
Here's a fun & festive meal to make with your little goblins on Halloween before they head out for Trick or Treat!
Make sure you check all of the creepy photos below to see step-by-step how it's done!
Makes 4 Quesadillas
8 corn tortillas
2 Medium sweet potatoes cut into 1/2 inch slices (about 2 cups), cooked in 1/2 inch water for 12 minutes
1/2 cup Tracy's REAL Foods Sunny Queso (about 1/2 container) (If you don't have it on hand, add your favorite salsa, nutritional yeast, spices and unsweetened plant milk to equal 1/2 cup)
Hot sauce to taste (optional)
1 1/2 cup black beans, drained (1 can) - SAVE the liquid for the Creepy Sauce. Mashed with 1 teaspoon Tracy's REAL Foods Chicken Free Seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon each cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder
1. Cook the sweet potatoes - bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover the pan and steam for about 12 minutes until they are fork tender.
2. Make your Creepy Sauce. Place the black bean cooking liquid (about 1/2 cup) into a small pan and add 1 teaspoon tamari, 1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke, and any other spices of your choosing (like a touch of chili powder or hot sauce to add spiciness). Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer over medium low heat and cook to reduce and thicken for about 10-15 minutes - make sure to watch for burning. Allow this mixture to cool fully. The thicker the better (without drying or burning).
It should be thicker than this!
3. When the sweet potatoes are done, drain but reserve the liquid. Make your sweet potato cheese. Place them into a blender and add the Sunny Queso and a few drops of hot sauce, if using. Blend until smooth, adding cooking liquid by the tablespoon only as needed to allow for smooth blending. You want a thick spread. Season to taste with hot sauce, or your favorite Mexican seasonings and nutritional yeast to make it even cheesier.
4. Lay 2 tortillas on the counter and spread each side thickly with 1/4 of the sweet potato cheese. Make sure to spread it to the edges. Place 1/4 of the mashed beans (about 1/3 cup) on one side and spread it evenly and top with some chopped scallions, arugula or spinach if you like. Add some of your favorite hot sauce or salsa if you like. Place the two lathered sides together and repeat the process with the remaining quesadillas.
5. Heat a skillet until a drop of water dances across, then turn it to medium. Place one or two quesadillas in the pan and cook for about 5-7 minutes on each side, until you see some browning and the inside is warmed well. Remove and cool, and repeat with the remaining quesadillas. You shouldn't need oil, as long as the skillet is heated properly (not too hot or too cold).
6. Place a snack sized ziplock bag into a bowl and prop it open and add the cooled Creepy Sauce, close the bag and snip a bottom corner to make a very small hole. Decorate your quesadillas with creepy shapes!
7. When ready to eat, cut with pizza cutter and have fun with your little goblins! Top with some Ghoulish Guacamole if you have some!
Leave a comment