You can watch me show how to make Friendly Fajitas by clicking HERE!
INGREDIENTS FOR FRIENDLY FAJITAS
These fajitas are friendly to the planet, the animals, and your health. You can enjoy authentic “chicken” fajitas on Taco Night without cruelty or excess fat and calories! This is so easy it can be an everyday meal that still tastes special. Using Butler Soy Curls is fun, and the taste/texture/look is remarkably like chicken.
(makes 8 large tacos)
2 cups Butler Soy Curls
1 ½ cups water
1 ½ tablespoons Tracy’s Real Foods Chicken-Free Seasoning (see Chef’s Note)
½ large red onion, sliced
½ large tomato, diced
½ large green pepper, sliced
½ large red pepper, sliced
1 cup mushroom slices
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon chili powder
Water or veggie broth as needed to sauté
8 corn tortillas
Toppings of choice (options include: fresh cilantro, salsa, pico de gallo, onions, shredded lettuce/cabbage, chopped tomatoes, sliced avocado, Tofu Cashew Sour Cream)
- Preheat the oven to 400 and line a cookie sheet with parchment.
- In a medium saucepan, place the soy curls, water, and seasoning. Stir well, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to simmer allowing the liquid to hydrate the soy curls and flavors are absorbed.
- Place the soy curls on the cookie sheet, in a single layer. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the soy curls dry out to a chewy consistency and remove from the oven to cool.
- Meanwhile in a skillet, sauté the veggies (onions, tomato, peppers, and mushrooms) with the spices, adding splashes of veggie broth or water to prevent burning. Reduce the heat, cover and allow the veggies to steam, release their natural juices and soften.
- Stir the prepared soy curls into the fajita veggies.
- Heat the tortillas to soften.
- Make your tacos and enjoy with your favorite toppings.
You can use No Chicken Broth or a vegan chicken flavored bouillon cube if you don’t happen to have Chicken-free seasoning, but you can easily get some at www.tracysrealfoods.com.
TOFU CASHEW SOUR CREAM
This is a creamy and cool, completely Vegan addition to many Mexican or spicy dishes and it can also sub in for dairy-based sour cream in recipes.
1 cup firm tofu squeezed lightly to remove excess moisture, if needed
1/2 cup cashews, soaked for 4-8 hours and drained well
1 tablespoon light miso
3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until creamy.
- Allow the mixture to chill for 1 hour to thicken.