I was recently featured on the Jane Unchained News Facebook page, demoing one of my favorite easy recipes! Feel free to watch and here's the recipe for it and the two vegan cheeses I made to go with it! BONUS - make MORE ricotta to use as a cheese on top! Why not?
Lazy Zucchini Lasagna
MAKES 8 SERVINGS
10 ounces frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and drained (optional)
1 recipe Tofu Ricotta (recipe below)
2 large jars pasta sauce of your choice (or Blender Marinara (recipe below)
8-9 ounces lasagna noodles (uncooked - you might not use all)
1-2 zucchini sliced thinly, lengthwise (a mandolin is helpful for this)
1 large carrot, shredded (optional)
Nut Parmesan as garnish (recipe below)
NOTE: If you like, you can make 1/2 recipe MORE of the ricotta cheese and reserve 1/3 of the recipe to spread it on top over the top after cooking for about 1/2 hour or so and a lot of the marinara is absorbed into the noodles. Return to the oven, uncovered, to firm up the ricotta cheese on top.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- If using, stir the chopped, drained & thawed spinach into the ricotta.
- Spread about ½ cup of the sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish and place a layer of 4 lasagna noodles
- Spread ½ of the ricotta on top of the noodles.
- Follow with a layer of zucchini slices or shredded carrots if using.
- Layer in a coating of the sauce.
- Layer in 4 more noodles.
- Follow with the rest of the tofu mixture then sliced zucchini if you used carrots.
- Layer in 4 more noodles.
- Cover with PLENTY of sauce!
- Cover the dish TIGHTLY with foil.
- Bake at 375 F for about 1 hour, test the top noodles for tenderness. Add more sauce if necessary (and return to oven for a few minutes).
- Allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving with homemade Nut Parmesan.
Makes about 2 cups
1 package (14-16 ounces) firm tofu
1/4 cup (60 ml) nondairy milk, or as needed (depends on tofu firmness and water content which varies between brands)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves
Juice from 1/2 lemon (about 1-2 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
½ - 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Blend tofu, garlic, lemon juice and salt in a food processor or blender until smooth. Add nondairy milk just as needed to get a smooth consistency (you might not need any).
- Stir or pulse in the chopped basil.
This is an excellent replacement for dairy based parmesan!
1/2 cup sliced almonds, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds or other nut/seed of choice (or a mix)
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes (unfortified)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Add all ingredients and blend to grind.
- Remove to a container and store in the refrigerator.
I love this recipe from my friend Chloe! https://www.chloescleancuisine.com/recipes/easy-blender-marinara