Everyone knows that kale is great for us, but most don’t have any idea how to prepare it. Here’s an extremely easy way to make kale not only edible, but delicious!
(makes 3-4 servings)
1 bunch curly kale
pinch of salt (optional)
Tracy's REAL Foods Sunny Parm or Nut Parmesan (recipe below)
- Heat a large pot of water to boiling. Add a pinch of salt if you wish.
- Meanwhile prepare your kale by stripping off the leaves from the stem and tearing them into bite-sized pieces.
- When the water is at a good boil, add the kale, submerging it in the water. Allow it to cook for 1-2 minutes, until bright green and tender, and remove immediately from the water into a colander to drain. Drain well. Toss with Nut Parmesan, to taste.
This is a great method for preparing lots of other veggies like sliced carrots, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, potatoes, and more. Cooking time varies based on the vegetable and how it’s sliced. Keep an eye on the time and record it for your favorites.
This is an excellent replacement for dairy-based parmesan! I always try to keep some on hand in my fridge. I keep it in a well-sealed jar.
(makes 1 cup)
½ cup sliced almonds, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds or other nut/seed of choice (or a mix)
½ cup nutritional yeast flakes (unfortified)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
- Add all ingredients and blend to grind.
- Remove to a container and store in the refrigerator.
- I use unfortified nutritional yeast because I don’t want to consume folic acid, which all the fortified formulas contain, as well as B-12, which is a recommended supplement for all vegans (it is best to use a sublingual supplement). Research shows that folic acid, which is the man-made form of folate, can be linked to cancer. Since folate is plentiful in fresh vegetables, if you eat plenty of veggies, you do not need to supplement with folic acid.
- When I’m in a hurry and need some Nut Parmesan for a recipe or topping, I sometimes use almond flour instead of whole nuts or seeds. This avoids using the blender, so it saves time and works well as a quick substitute.