EASY CHEEZY SCALLOPED POTATOES
Everyone loves the comfort of potatoes in a cheesy, creamy sauce. But why sacrifice your health with the usual high-fat fare when these are just as yummy and a fraction of the calories? These are excellent for family gatherings, holidays, finicky kids, you name it—these potatoes are comfort food at its best.
(serves 4 as a main dish)
1½ cups unsweetened plant milk
3-4 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon light miso or ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
¼ teaspoon black pepper (or more, to taste)
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon turmeric
2½ tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
½ cup red bell pepper, chopped (about ½ of a medium pepper)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2-3 large Yukon gold potatoes (very thinly sliced)—about 5 cups
2 tablespoons Nut Parmesan (recipe on page xxx)
¼ teaspoon paprika, smoked or regular
fresh parsley, rosemary, or chopped scallions for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Line a 9-inch square (or equivalent-sized round) casserole dish with parchment paper or silicon baking sheet.
- Place the milk, garlic, miso, black pepper, onion powder, cornstarch, bell pepper, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Spread ¼ cup of the blended sauce on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Layer about one-third of the potatoes evenly in the dish, then pour about one-third of the creamy cheesy sauce on top and spread to cover the potatoes. Add another one-third of the potatoes the same way and pour more sauce on top of them. Follow with the remaining potatoes and sauce and spread the sauce to cover.
- Sprinkle the listed dry seasonings between layers, if you like.
- Sprinkle the top with Spike Seasoning, paprika, parsley, and/or vegan parmesan cheese.
- Cover the dish and bake 25-30 minutes or until the sauce is starting to bubble.
- Uncover and bake for another 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft and top is slightly brown on top.
- Garnish the top with fresh parsley, rosemary or chopped scallions.
I like to layer in veggies with the sliced potatoes, like sliced onions and/or bell peppers.