Red Lentil Parm Nuggets
You will not believe the deliciousness of this creation, made simply from seasoned red lentils! These lentils are split, so they are thinner and don't have a hull. Hence, they blend up well and it's surprising how the end result is so much like tofu or even chicken nuggets, but they have a lot more fiber and antioxidants (and of course chicken has neither!) These nuggets have a great chewy texture and are made so yummy and easy thanks to our convenient Vegan Seasonings: Sunny Parm and Chicken-Free Seasoning!
The Red Lentil “Tofu” recipe is adapted from a recipe by Simnett Nutrition. You can watch his video making the tofu HERE. The use of our Sunny Parm to coat the nuggets easily makes this yummy recipe low-fat and oil free, yet satisfyingly chewy and crispy! Enjoy these as an appetizer, snack or addition to wraps or to add protein and fiber to everyday meals.
1 cup red lentils, rinsed until water runs mostly clear
3 cups boiling water
1 tablespoon Tracy’s REAL Foods Chicken Free Seasoning
1-2 tablespoons water or aquafaba (chickpea/bean cooking liquid)
2 heaping tablespoons Tracy’s REAL Foods Sunny Parm Seasoning
- Place the rinsed lentils into a heat proof container or bowl.
- Pour the boiling water over the lentils and stir well, then cover and soak for 20 minutes.
- Pour the lentils and water into a blender and add the Chicken Free Seasoning.
- Blend until very smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and bring to a boil, then heat on medium stirring to thicken. Keep stirring and heating until the mixture is very thick, coming away from the sides of the pan and difficult to stir. Don’t let it burn by raising the heat too high.
- Pour the mixture into a glass 8x8 inch square casserole dish.
- Allow it to cool uncovered for about 20 minutes, then cover and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the “tofu” into bite-sized squares and place them in a bowl. Sprinkle on some water or aquafaba and toss them gently to moisten. Sprinkle on the Sunny Parm Seasoning and toss again gently to coat the pieces.
- Place the pieces onto the prepared cookie sheet and separate them to allow them to cook evenly. Place them in the oven and roast for about 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned and firm on the outside. If you’d like them even browner, you can then broil them for about 2-3 minutes.
1. This recipe makes quite a lot of nuggets. I haven't tried freezing them yet, but I'll experiment and get back to you!
2. These are delicious dipped in your favorite vegan barbeque sauce, marinara sauce or tossed with pasta marinara. Recently I coated them with a generous amount of marinara sauce and baked them on parchment at 375 for about 15 minutes. Amazing!
3. Also try them dipped in an oil-free creamy sauce like my Tofu Cashew Mayo, mixed with a bit of maple syrup and stone-ground mustard "Honey" Mustard sauce.