I had a great time presenting this recipe on Unchained TV. You can watch the LIVE video right here, and the recipe is below.
Tofu Balls and Spaghetti
This takes the traditional recipe that many of us grew up with to a much healthier level while still maintaining the delicious taste we remember. It’s also very simple to make.
INGREDIENTS (photo below):
1 14-ounce package firm or extra firm tofu
8 ounces spaghetti of choice, cooked
1 small onion, chopped
Water or vegetable broth to sauté
1 large tomato, chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms
4-6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon sliced kalamata olives with a little brine
½ tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons julienned oil-free sundried tomatoes
1 teaspoon Bragg Aminos or tamari soy sauce (optional)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 small can tomato paste
½ cup water or more as needed
SUNNY PARM SEASONING, garnish
Fresh basil, garnish
- Heat a medium saucepan or skillet and dry sauté the onion adding splashes of water or broth as needed to avoid burning, but keep it pretty dry at first to get a nice browning. Add the chopped tomato, sliced mushrooms, garlic, olives + brine, Italian seasoning, sundried tomatoes, Braggs, and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil while rapidly sautéing, then cover and reduce the heat.
- Meanwhile with a melon baller, scoop out ball-shaped pieces of tofu until the tofu is too small for more, then break the rest of the tofu into small irregular-sized pieces. Add them immediately to the pot. Gently fold in the tofu and cover again to simmer and infuse the tofu with the flavors for about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and additional water as needed and gently incorporate it into the sauce without breaking up the tofu balls.
- If you have time, allow this mixture to sit off the heat, covered for up to an hour before serving to infuse the tofu with the flavors.
- Divide the pasta onto individual serving plates and ladle the sauce on top.
- Sprinkle each serving with Sunny Parm Seasoning, garnish with fresh basil and serve.